|Dr. R. Michael Buehrer
Office: 447 Durham
Dr. R. Michael Buehrer received the BSEE and MSEE degrees from the University of Toledo in 1991 and 1993 respectively. He received a Ph.D. from Virginia Tech in 1996 where he studied under the Bradley Fellowship. From 1996-2001 Dr. Buehrer was with Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ and Whippany, NJ. While at Bell Labs his research focused on CDMA systems, intelligent antenna systems, and multiuser detection. He was named a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff in 2000 and was a co-winner of the Bell Labs President’s Silver Award for research into intelligent antenna systems. In 2001 Dr. Buehrer joined Virginia Tech as an Assistant Professor with the Bradley Department of Electrical Engineering where he works with the Mobile and Portable Radio Research Group. His current research interests include position location networks, Ultra Wideband, spread spectrum, multiple antenna techniques, interference avoidance, and propagation modeling. In 2003 he was named Outstanding New Assistant Professor by the Virginia Tech College of Engineering. Dr. Buehrer has co-authored approximately 25 journal and 75 conference papers and holds 10 patents in the area of wireless communications. He is currently a Senior Member of IEEE, and an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technologies and IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing.
- Ultra Wideband (UWB) for Communication and position location
- UWB-based Heath Monbitoring
- Spread spectrum techniques
- Mulitple-antenna techniques
- Cognitive Radio
- B.M. Donlan, D. R. McKinstry, and R. M. Buehrer , “The UWB Indoor Channel: Large and Small Scale Modeling,” accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, March 2005.
- J.Ibrahim and R.M. Buehrer, “NBI Mitigation for UWB Systems Using Multiple Antenna Selection Diversity,” accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology.
- R. Menon, J. Ibrahim, and R.M. Buehrer, “UWB Signal Detection Based on Sequence Optimization for Dense Multipath Channels,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 228-230, April 2006.
- J.Ibrahim and R.M. Buehrer, “ Two-Stage Acquisition for UWB in Dense Multipath,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 801-807, April 2006.
- V. Bharadwaj and R.M. Buehrer, “An interference suppression scheme for UWB signals using multiple receive antennas”, IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 529-531, June 2005.
- M. Muhamed and R.M. Buehrer, “On the Impact of SNR Estimation Error on Adaptive Modulation,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 490-492, June 2005.
- R.M. Buehrer, R.A. Soni, and R.D. Benning, “Transmit Diversity for Combined 2G and 3G Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1648-1653, October 2004.
- R.A. Soni and R.M. Buehrer, “On the Performance of Open Loop Transmit Diversity Methods for IS-2000 Systems: A Comparative Study,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 1602-1615, September 2004.
- J. Jiang, R.M. Buehrer and W.H. Tranter, “Antenna Diversity in Multiuser Data Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 490-497, Mar. 2004.
- R.M. Buehrer and R. Mahajan, “On the Usefulness of Outer-loop Power Control for Successive Interference Cancellation,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 2091-2102, December 2003.
- R. Gozali, R.M. Buehrer and B.D. Woerner, “The Impact of Multiuser Diversity on Space-Time Block Coding,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 213-215, May 2003.